Monday, August 1, 2011

Muir Woods & Sausalito

Despite the foggy, chilly start to the day, I decided to forge ahead with more sightseeing on Sunday, July 31, 2011.  I checked out Muir Woods on the internet to see what I could expect to do there.  They indicated that the parking was limited, and included a link to a Park & Ride in Mill Valley that included a shuttle bus to the monument for a $3 round trip fee.  I was feeling pretty smart that I found this out.  So I figured out the address of the Park & Ride, fed it to Major Tom and he guided me straight there.  I found the bus and waited my turn to board only to find out that it was exact change only!

So I drove to Muir Woods.  The road leading into the monument was about 3 miles of hairpin turns and bends - tons of fun to drive! And the web site was right, the parking was limited to 2 small gravel parking lots and miles of parking on the side of the twisty road.  So I ended up parking about a mile from the entrance.  But it was soooo worth it!  I felt like a hobbit, dwarfed by the giant redwoods.  Yes, I expected to see fairies and tree ents!  But the only wildlife I sighted was a friendly chipmunk at the entrance, a few dragon flies and a spotted owl.  The Northern Spotted Owl is on the endangered species list.  The one I saw was perched on a tree stump with his back turned to the crowds.

The forest was hushed and reverent.  It was chilly - no wind, but limited sunlight.  Occasionally there were areas where a tree had fallen and the sun streamed through.  Part of the circle of life as it nurtured more growth.  The fallen tree served as wildlife habitat and eventually fertilizer.  And baby redwoods were sprouting from the root system of the fallen tree.  The seed pods of the Redwoods in some areas are spurred into opening by extremely high temperatures - a mechanism that allows them to propagate after the fires that sweep California.  The different shades and patterns of light in the forest were mesmerising. Another interesting fact about the redwoods is that even if the trunk of the tree hollows out, it can still live on - since most of the nutrients and water system of the trees live in the outer layers.

It was humbling and awe-inspiring to lay hands on the striated bark of these old giants.  I am so grateful that they have been preserved and protected.  (On that note, I did purchase a book at the gift store, The Legacy of Luna, by Julia Butterfly Hill. About an activist woman who lived in one of these trees for two years. You can purchase it at amazon.com)  I wandered along the landscaped path for about a mile and a half.  Then hiked the mile back to my car, ready for something to eat.

This led me to Sausalito, CA - a small, seaside town across the bay from San Francisco.  It has a mediterranean look and feel, according to the brochures.  Lots of docked sailboats; cute shops; artists on the boardwalk; galleries; restaurants and tourists.  I wandered the streets for a while, stopped for a "Sausalito Burger" on huge roll, petted a handsome Newfoundland (that's a dog not a Canadian man - although that would have been fun too! LOL!), scored some ice cream and snapped a few pictures of the bay.  By then, I was exhausted from my jaunts, and ready to head back to the hotel.  Think I'll save the next round of sightseeing until next weekend. Check out the pictures below.















No comments:

Post a Comment