Sunday, October 30, 2011

Route 66

I awoke to a grey and blustery fall Sunday.  I slept in late - trying to recover some sleep from this past week of staying up too late every night watching the Cardinals win the World Series!!  I decided it would be a good day for some whimsical tourism.  I found a mention of Route 66 State Park online - and decided that would do.  So Jane and I set out among the falling leaves to pursue a bit of Americana in Missouri.

Route 66 was designed as a federal highway in 1926.  It spans some of the most remote country in the US from LA to Chicago.  It has also been called The Main Street of America and the "Mother Road"(by John Steinbeck).  It became one of the greatest migration routes in our country's history - passing through large cities and small rural towns.  Gas stations were plentiful and speed limits very low.  It was most recently featured in the movie, Cars.  Eventually an interstate was built along Route 66 - providing faster access.  And also killing off the small towns, inns, diners and tourist attractions along Route 66.

Route 66 Sate Park is located in the former town of Times Beach along Route 66 just outside of Eureka, Missouri.  Time Springs was reduced by flooding, and then bought out when it was discovered that waste oil sprayed on the streets to reduce dust was contaminated with high levels of dioxin.  The land was cleaned up and turned over to the state park.  Route 66 State Park strives to keep some of the memories alive through memorabilia, displays, souvenirs, etc.  The visitors center is located in what was once a roadhouse, built in 1935.  It was opened as the Bridgehead Inn, then later known as Steiny's Inn, Bridgehead Inn and Galley West.

I really enjoyed touring the visitors center and decided to purchase a DVD celebrating the 75th anniversary of Route 66 - it's history and the television shows that were filmed about it.  The memorabilia displayed included signs and bricks from some of the roadhouses along the way, Old souvenirs, an old gas tank dispenser, a Route 66 motorcycle, Route 66 road sign markers, bumper stickers, diner signs and much more.   Jane enjoyed the State Park - where she chased leaves and carried sticks and played in the grass.

After the walk in the state park, I decided we needed some more time on the road.  Reading about Route 66 made me want to drive it.  So checking the map, I had to get back on the interstate and go down several exits on I-44 to #261.  There I was able to turn to SR 44 (which is the historical Route 66).  At least in Missouri, Route 66 now only exists as a historical route.  I found that very sad.  It parallels the Interstate and at times criss-crosses it.  Slowing down to the 40-50 mph speed limit, I settled in to cruise a bit.  Already it felt different than being in the Interstate.  No worries about passing people, or getting in the way of speeding vehicles.  No keeping a constant eye out for cops while you're speeding. (Whoops, did I say that? ;) )  Instead, I passed aging buildings, small towns, houses, trailer parks, and kooky tourist attractions (yes, they still exist).  The road was gently winding with a few tiny hills.  It's graded just perfectly to cruise along without much maneuvering.  No tight curves or steep descents.  I can see why people enjoyed cruising along on it.

I mean, where else can you see such cool things as Creative Chainsaw Carvings, Gigantic Indian Teepees selling jewelry and tortillas, rundown trailer parks called Paradise, flea markets, farms with rusting fences and mules in the field.... you just don't have time to notice those things when you're flying down the interstate - unless it's on a gigantic billboard.  There is something to be said for slowing down to appreciate things - the life around you.  I definitely want to go back sometime and drive the entire route!

I was enticed off the route by a billboard touting the Meramec Caverns and Jesse James Wax museum.  I had wanted to see the caverns while I was here - so this was as good a time as any.  The caverns are privately owned.  They are the site of a famous escape by Jesse James and his gang - who hid in the caves and escaped through a river.  Dolomite rock (stronger than concrete) forms the ceiling and walls of the cave which includes 26 miles of underground passages.  The tour cost $20 and lasts about 1 1/2 hours.  It probably could have been done in half that time.  And they've added cheesy effects for the tourists that I thought were unnecessary.  But the stalactites and stalagmites were amazing.  I'm glad I saw it anyway.

Once I was out of the caverns, I realized it was late in the day.  So Jane and I headed back to St Louis on the Interstate.  But I have to say, I felt guilty.















1 comment:

  1. thanks for the postcard and your wonderful comments on my dream trip "Route 66". jane is going to be one of the most seasoned travel dogs ever...............s

    ReplyDelete