Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wrecked my Soul

So when I began this blog, I was taking my Kia Soul on the road in search of a new beginning, a new life. The road has led me to Albuquerque.  It hasn't been easy starting over from scratch in my mid-forties.  One of the hardest parts was leaving my friends and family behind back east.  So far I haven't made any new friends here.  Which made it really, really hard when the accident happened.

I was driving home from Santa Fe - just a few miles from the apartment - when traffic came to a dead stop without warning.  I rear ended the car in front of me.  Fortunately no one was hurt.  I'm a little bruised and shaken up.  It's scary when the insurance agent tells you a rental car won't be available until Monday - and you're standing by the side of the road next to the wreck, with the dogs in daycare needing to be picked up, and not knowing a soul in town you can call for help.  So I did the typical woman reacting emotionally to a crash - I cried.

Fortunately, a guardian angel named George, in the guise of a AAA tow truck driver, not only towed my car, but also gave me a ride to the airport so I could get a rental car there!  I lived in Atlanta for 15 years with some of the worst drivers and traffic in the nation.  I never had an accident.  Welcome to New Mexico!  Pictures of The Ghost are below.  I hope to find out tomorrow whether my poor little car can be saved.  Or whether this is the end of the Soul.  Will update you when I can.



March 23, 2012
ADDENDUM:  $7800 worth of damage to the Soul is the estimate.  Three weeks in the shop.  So I'm driving a rental car - a Toyota Camry.  I miss The Ghost terribly.  Can't wait to get it back!

No comments:

Post a Comment