Monday, September 3, 2012

New Mexico Wine Festival, Labor Day Weekend

New Mexico has a long tradition with winemaking beginning with Franciscan Friars in 1629 who planted grape vines.  This past weekend was the 25th annual New Mexico Wine Festival in Bernalillo, NM.  It's one of the largest wine festivals in New Mexico.  Close to 20 different wineries were represented, as well as food vendors, arts/crafts and live music.  Held on a large field in the village of Bernalillo, the wine festival is very popular.  Many people collect each year's unique wine tasting glass and poster. After an ID check, hand stamp, ticket exchange and wrist band application, walk through the tents to the merchandise booth to receive your tasting glass.  Then turn right and begin the experience!

I went with my friend, Sandra, on the first day of the festival.  It was pretty crowded but not overwhelming.  We decided to first check out all the arts and crafts all the way around the field.  The vendors and winery tents were lined up around the edges.  In the center was a large tent with seating and a dance floor and stage where live music ran continually providing a festive background.  There were also numerous smaller tents to provide shade from the unrelenting heat.  And it was hot - in the high 90's!  There were plenty of artisans displaying handmade jewelry, paintings, purses, artisanal goat cheese and more.

After the first go round, we decided to try a few of the wineries.  I had only tried one NM wine so far which was St. Clair.  So I skipped that booth and concentrated on a few others.   Because of the hot sun in New Mexico the grapes here have a high sugar content.  So most of the best wines here are sweet. First stop was Acequia Vineyards & Winery LLC.    Pronounced Ah-sa-key-ah, this vineyard is located in Corrales, NM in the Rio Grande Valley.  The name, we were told by a lady in the booth who vowed it was her contribution, is spanish for irrigation canal - which is what carries in the waters to grow the grapes the wine is made from.  They had a lovely 2011 Chardonnay which was quite buttery with a nice smooth finish.  Had to buy a bottle of this one.  Sandra enjoyed their Muscat Canelli - which is a very sweet wine.

Next stop was Guadalupe Vineyards tent.  Their vineyard is located in San Fidel, New Mexico and they specialize in white wines - particularly Riesling (which has won silver medal awards in New Mexico and San Francisco), Gewurtztraminer and Muscat.  I found the Gewurtztraminer a bit too sweet.  But I really enjoyed their newest offering called Our Lady's Blend.

After all the sweet whites, we decided to try a few reds.  So our next stop was Black Mesa Winery from Northern New Mexico in Velarde.  Sandra had said she really liked their chocolate red wine.  I had my doubts, as I'd seen those milky bottles of so-called chocolate red wine in the stores.  They looked horrifying.  But being a good friend, I decided to go with it and give it a try.  So we got into line and waited our turn.  Once at the tent/counter, we asked about the wines.  Generally at each tent, you get 3 tastings.  So it's best to ask about their wines, even ask for suggestions if you like - as they will often point out their award winning wines - and then pick the ones you like best.  I asked about the Black Beauty -which is their chocolate wine.  Apparently it's their most popular wine, a nice red dessert wine that is combined with natural chocolate flavoring.  I relaxed a little when she poured out this deep garnet wine into the glass - no milky substance here!  The taste was smooth - berries up front, a hint of tobacco and then the slightest hint of dark chocolate shone through.  Very nice!  And I added a bottle of that to my collection.

The last stop after that was Tularosa Vineyards.  This vineyard is located in the Tularosa Basin, 45 minutes from White Sands National Monument and has won numerous medals regionally and internationally.   I tried several wines here and bought 2 bottles.  My favorite being their 2011 Cabernet Saugvignon - which as rich and fruit forward with notes of tobacco.  The other bottle I bought out of pure silliness and because I liked the taste.  It is a cherry table wine called Burro Flats.  It's a very light red wine (I'm sure wine snobs would call it hard kool-aid), but I liked the light cherry flavor and I liked the label.  What can I say?  I know just enough about wine to be dangerous - yet it's still all about flavor and what you like.  Sandra enjoyed their Muscat Canelli as well.

The combination of the heat and the wine was beginning to wear us down at that point.  But I wanted to stop at a booth to purchase some tasty garlic oil I had sampled on our earlier round.  I set my tasting glass down while paying and started to walk away from the tent only to realize I'd left the glass behind. When I went back it was gone!  Someone had taken it.  It was such a disappointing ending to a nice day.  So here's my caution if you attend this festival - hold on to that tasting glass and watch it like a hawk.  Apparently they are a hot commodity and will be stolen!  I tried asking for a replacement, but no luck.  In the end, Sandra kindly gave me hers.  That's a true friend!!

The next day I decided to get up early and try taking the dogs for their first hike in the Sandias.  We drove to the Ellis Trailhead and parked.  It was another gorgeous sunny day with a few white puffy clouds in the vivid blue sky.  Doc and Jane were really excited to be somewhere different.  Doc took to it like he'd done it all his life.  We passed two women on horseback - and the dogs were beside themselves.  I know Jane has never seen a horse up close before.  I thought she'd just die from excitement!  Once we got past that, Jane - as usual - decided that it wasn't as fun as she thought it might be and started looking for patches of shade to pull me into so she could stop and rest.  She hates the heat!



So I turned off onto a wooded trail off to the side that was more shaded.  This trail was much more popular - lots of mountain bikes, people hiking and talking, amateur photogaphers.  But it was also peaceful to be out in nature, watching the several hawks lazily circling the sky, listening to birds and cicadas buzzing.  Jane like this path much better.  I might make a hiker out of her yet!



The other part of my weekend was to be attending a baseball game for our local team, The Isotopes.  Catchy name, huh?  Apparently all things nuclear are popular here in New Mexico.  I still have to go see the Museum of Nuclear Science here in ABQ.  But that's for another day.   I have to like this baseball team as they recently adopted a blind dog as their team mascot.   "Stevie Wonder" was blinded from infection and abuse, but lucked out when pitcher John Ely and his teammates adopted him.  Ely has since left the team, but Stevie went with him and now lives in Chicago.  In any case, I was unable to attend the game - which I think was their last home game.  So I will have to catch The Isotopes next season.  Hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

1 comment:

  1. been a while since i read your post and had quite a lot of catching up to do. you have certainly been busy. one of my favorites is "tinker" town. kinda looks like my house, i've always been a lousy housekeeper.
    your description of all the wines at the tasting were wonderful. even though it's only 11:00 am, had to go pour me a glass and try to taste the different "notes" (i believe that is the right word) and after the second glass, i think i did. kept refering back to your descriptions to know what to look for.
    sounds like you have found a good friend. only a good friend would share her tasting glass. well got to go. one day ernie and i will make it out to visit you. look forward to sharing some of the wonderful things you have discovered............s

    ReplyDelete