Sunday, December 2, 2012

The road to Taos

So whenever I think about Taos, I think skiing.  That's all I've ever really known about it.  Since moving to New Mexico, I've learned more about Taos, and have been wanting to get up there.  Besides skiing, Taos has lots of areas for great hiking, a thriving artisan community, the Taos Pueblo, museums and a famous church.  Having had a rough week over Thanksgiving (not the holiday itself), I decided on a whim to take the dogs and head to Taos for the day on a Sunday.  It's about 2 1/2 hours from ABQ.

So I headed up I-25 to Santa Fe and turned off toward Espanola and Taos.  Merging onto 64North, I drove toward Taos.  It was a cold, but typical sunny beautiful November morning.  The sky was an incredible clear blue color.  About 15 miles south of Taos is the Rio Grande River gorge.  Route 64 winds through the hills, and after one hard curve, a breathtaking vista opens up.  The road passes through the bottom of the gorge, hills on either side; and the Rio Grande river on the left.  I stopped off at the Rio Grande Gorge visitor center.  Had a nice talk with the ranger there about dogs - he had a snoring Boston Terrier and Aussie under the counter.  I told him I recognized that snore!!  There was a trail head off the opposite end of the parking lot.  So after the long drive, I and the dogs stretched our legs and hiked the trail up to a bluff with some amazing views of the gorge.





Heading into Taos, I stopped at the Taos Visitor Center on the right, just before the Taos Plaza.  The visitors center has locally made crafts for sale, as well as maps and information from the helpful staff on things to see and do in the area.  The Taos Plaz is the center of the original Spanish Settlement.  It has the distinction to be the first place in the US to fly the American flag day and night.  Driving on past the Plaza, I headed through the Taos Pueblo.  The Taos Pueblo was established many centuries before European arrival making it one of the oldest, continuously occupied pueblos in New Mexico.  Since I had to dogs with me, I decided not to stop in at the Pueblo, although they do have tours open to the public.  Please note that there is a camera fee and rules to follow to respect their traditions.  Several friendly "Rez" dogs were roaming the parking lot and greeting visitors.

Continuing on, I headed out of town about 11 miles to the the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.  The bridge is the tenth highest bridge in the US towering 650 feet above the river.  If you go, definitely plan on driving across the bridge, parking off to the left in the dirt parking area and taking a walk back across the bridge.  There are usually several vendor/artisans marketing their wares opposite the parking area - be sure to take cash if you're interested.  Walk along the side of the bridge to the center if you dare.  Don't do this if you are afraid of heights.  The bridge actually moves in the wind and with car traffic.  There is a small area in the center on each side where you can pause and admire the view.  I have to admit, although I'm not afraid of heights, I did have to put a hand on the railing before I looked down.  It's absolutely breathtaking and mesmerizing!






On the return from the bridge, I stopped in at the Plaza area to hit a few stores.  Sadly, none of the ones I made it to took credit/debit cards.  I hadn't brought any cash as this was spur of the moment trip.  So instead I took the dogs for a nice walk through Kit Carson park and decided to head home.  All in all it was a delightful day trip and only served to whet my appetite to go back and spend time in shops, museums, touring the pueblo and perhaps next summer, rafting down the Rio Grande!

No comments:

Post a Comment