Sunday, September 18, 2011

Welcome to St Louis

Drove to St Louis, Missouri for my next work assignment.  I drove out from South Carolina, through Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri.  I stopped overnight in Paducah, Kentucky and got the chance to see the National Quilt Museum.  $11 got me in to see the most amazing works of fiber art I've ever seen.  Taking photos was not allowed, but even if it was, they would not do these quilts justice.  The stitching, designs, colors and textures were incredible and breathtaking.  If you ever go near that area, take the time to stop in.  Passing into Illinois, I also drove by Metropolis,  home of Superman!  Unfortunately I couldn't stop in at the museum there with Jane in the car.  But it was fun to drive by!

The latter part of Kentucky and the southern part of Illinois that I drove through were mostly trees, scrub and flat farmland.  Definitely entering the midwest.  It reminded me of the time I lived in Kansas.  Flat land for miles and miles - even driving into the outskirts of St Louis.  Then I rounded a corner of I-64 and saw the arch!


I'm staying at the Staybridge Suites in a one bedroom suite (pseudo-apartment).  It's pretty nice with lots of amenities (fitness room, free breakfast).  There's lots of grassy areas where Jane can play and walk.  I met today with her new dog sitter, Kritter Kare 4 U.  Bill will be taking her out twice a day for me, since I'll be working 10 hour days.  With travel time - I'll be gone 11-12 hours a day.  That's too long to leave a 10 wk old puppy to herself.  So Bill will give there companionship and potty breaks she needs.

Tomorrow I start work at Barnes Jewish Hospital in the outpatient clinic.  I made a dry run today and it took about 20 minutes to get there (14 miles).  But I know I'll have to allow more time for traffic.  The campus is beautiful and huge!  It was rainy today, so the pictures don't do it justice completely.  It's supposed to be the biggest hospital in Missouri.  It's surrounded by various colleges and universities.   I'm hoping that this will be a good place to work.



No comments:

Post a Comment