Saturday, July 7, 2012

Monsoon July in New Mexico

July marks the beginning of the monsoon season in New Mexico.  (Arizona too, but since I live here, that's what I'm concentrating on...)  I though it was a joke when I first heard it.  Monsoon season.  In the high desert.  Right.  When I think of the word Monsoon, I picture torrential rains (like in India or Thailand), flooding, mud slides, humidity, everything wet and moldy.  So I decided to to do a bit of research on it.

Most people associate the Land of Enchantment with sunny skies.  We rank in the top 10 sunniest cities in the U.S. - 76% of the year being sunny.  But we do get some rainfall.  In fact, half of our annual rainfall occurs during the "monsoon season" which officially lasts from July 7th to September 30.  (This year we started a few days early.)  So in NM "monsoon" actually refers to the weather pattern that brings the rain, winds, flash floods and lighting strikes characteristic of monsoon weather in the southwest.  The strong sun here dries out the land and air for a few months during late spring/early summer.  When this dryness occurs to a certain extent, it actually creates enough atmospheric pull to bring in cooler air from over the ocean south of here.  That cooler air comes in and brings rain, strong winds and storms - cooling off the land, rejuvenating vegetation (at least the stuff that's not beaten by winds, hail, flood or lightening strike fires), and causing flash floods and lightening.

New Mexico actually has the highest # of lightening strikes and fatalities per capita in the U.S.  I read on one site that on June 24 the eastern half of the state received 8,024 ground strikes - only one of which started a fire.  Holy cow!  Wish I had done more research before I moved here.  When I asked about the weather here on my interview, people in town and at the job site all said it was so great here - mild, sunny weather - second only to California.  Yeah right.  They saw a sucker.

It's early days yet, but so far in ABQ it has brought gentle, short rains, cloudier days and cooler temperatures.  It's a nice welcome break from summer heat.  Sorry to all you east coasters who are suffering extreme heat at the moment.  Been there.  It is the desert after all - so it will return.




One last picture....  this may seem silly to you, but it's the first puddle I've seen in 6 months!  Saw it this morning in a park at the farmers market. Don't you just love the warning cones!  OMG - a puddle! Be careful! They don't know mud here apparently. LOL!  Stay cool!
Jules

1 comment:

  1. you're right, we are burning up down here. the rain seems to stop at bear island (a mile and a half down the road) and my grass is crunchy when you walk across it. the only saving grace is the afternoon sea breeze, it's a warm breeze but at least it gets the air stirring.
    enjoy your rain, watch out for the lightning and stomp in a few puddles for me.............s

    ReplyDelete