Sunday, June 24, 2012

Corrales, NM (Farmer's markets and goat milk yogurt)

I decided to go check out the Corrales Grower's market today.  It's held on Sunday mornings from 9-12.  This was my first visit to a Farmer's market in NM.  So I was excited to see what it was like.  I really miss the markets back home in SC & GA.  I have found really good local goat cheese here from the Old Windmill Dairy (I plan on trying to visit it soon!), but haven't found good local produce yet.

The Corrales Grower's market is located in the Village of Corrales - just northwest of Albuquerque, and east of the Rio Grande.  As you enter the Village limits, a sign is posted that reads: "Drive Slowly and see our Village.  Drive Fast and see our Judge.  Speed limits are strictly enforced."  I love it!  Tried to get an actual picture of it, but after driving back and forth a few times, the after church traffic was too heavy for me to slow down, and there was no where to pull off.

Corrales has been occupied since as early as 500 AD - with subsequent populations of Native American Indians, Hispanic, European and American settlers.  It is largely rural/agricultural and strives to maintain that.  I drove down a beautiful tree lined road with horse farms and vineyards off to either side as well as homes with large gardens, artist enclaves and historical buildings.  The majority of the buildings appear to be adobe.



Even the local veterinary clinic is quaint and rural.  It's an adobe building just off the road.  A few goats were in the fenced area nearest the road.  The actual entrance to the clinic is on the side of the building - under an arbor covered in vines.


One of the historic sites in Corrales (which unfortunately wasn't open when I was there) is Casa San Ysidro.  This is a reproduction 1870's adobe house or rancho, complete with chapel, and plaza.  The land and original house belonged to the Gutierrez family dating back to 1704.


As much as I was charmed by the Village of Corrales, and by the atmosphere in the Grower's Market, the market itself was a bit disappointing.  Everyone was very friendly, and many seemed to know each other.  It had the feeling of all the neighbors dropping by with their dogs and kids to shop and talk and visit.  At the back corner a band played hispanic style music, flanked by tents of tortillas, frybread and chiles.  There were several vendors selling plants - herbs, vegetables and flowers; a goat cheese vendor; one tent selling locally raised beef; several selling breads, baked goods and preserves and a few other selling vegetables.  But the vegetables were very slim - I picked up some turnips, and saw kale, apricots, cherries, peaches, onions, garlic, but very little else.  Certainly not the extent of what I would expect to find normally.  I guess the season here is just beginning for harvest??  Didn't see any tomatoes or corn or squash or beans..... hmmmmmm.  Makes me miss home all the more.  I was hoping for a good tomato for sandwiches or tomatoe pie.  Well, I'll just have to check out the other farmer's markets in the area as well.

On a good note, I had a nice conversation with the lady selling Goat cheese from South Mountain Dairy.  I bought some nice soft dill goat cheese from her; and then thought to ask her for tips on making yogurt from goat milk.  I can never get mine to set up no matter what I do (longer times, extra culture).  She explained that the proteins were different from cow milk and wouldn't set up properly.  You can make a drinkable yogurt from it - as it stays runny in texture.  She let me try their drinkable yogurt, which was quite good.  But she said that if I wanted it to set up, I would have to add tapioca or gelatin to it.  Sure enough, when I check the goat milk yogurt in the grocery store, it has added tapioca!  So I bought some tapioca flour/starch and tried adding it to my yogurt.  Keep your fingers crossed and I'll edit this tomorrow to update you.  I may have to experiment a little with the correct amount to add.

***ADDENDUM:  The yogurt is still runny.  Either I need more tapioca, or a different kind.  Ah well, it's an adventure, right? ;)*****

Happy marketing to you!
Jules

1 comment:

  1. another great side trip. when april was born, she couldn't have any of the prepared formulars and could only tolerate goat's milk. we had to find a farmer locally (rock hill) who could supply us for about 4 months and i mixed it myself. havn't liked goat cheese since. the uptake....april loves it...........s

    ReplyDelete