Saturday, January 14, 2012

Indian Pueblo Cultural Center

Gorgeous, sunny day in Albuquerque.... made it just about impossible to stay inside and do the filing things I needed to get done.  Time enough for that when the sun goes down.  So I headed out to a place I've been meaning to check out -- The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center.  Here's me in front of the Center - for those of you who like to challenge whether I've really been to these places, since there's no pics of me at them.... or something like that.



The Center contains a museum, a cafe and gift shop and a research center.  The museum spirals around through circular hallways, with alternate halls for administrative and research purposes radiating out.  It is meant to be symbolic of the sun.  In the center courtyard of the facility, there are gorgeous murals painted on the outside walls, and a flat, sandy area where native dancers can be found at scheduled times.


The museum contains an amazing exhibit about the history and culture of the pueblo indians.  Breathtaking pottery and paintings abound.  I was privileged to see a special exhibit, which will soon be gone, called "Gathering the Clouds".  According to the brochure it is "an exhibition of Pueblo textiles and pottery that expresses the deep interconnection between Pueblo spirituality, art and nature.  'Gathering of the Clouds' - the calling upon the elements of the earth, air, fire and water to bring all that is essential for life in the Pueblo world."  Photos are not allowed in the exhibit - so I'm unable to include any samples.  The textiles were gorgeous - ceremonial robes, sashes, wedding robes, blankets, etc.  The Pueblo Indians were among the only or first peoples in the world to use the upright or standing loom for weaving.  This was not adopted from Mexico, but was unique to the Pueblos.

The Pueblos, like most native cultures, suffered from the abuses of many outside cultures - the Spanish and whites.  The spaniards brought catholicism, but also destruction.  Many Pueblos (villages) were destroyed.  Today only 19 remain in New Mexico.

After visiting the museum, I was able to catch the noon dancing exhibition in the courtyard.  Three children - 2 girls and a boy, were dancing while two of their elders drummed and chanted.  The two girls held in one hand an ear of corn and in the other two long feathers.  The boy had a mask/headdress on which had antlers on the front, tail feathers at the back and ribbons on the sides.  He carried two walking sticks with feathers at the bottom - so that he appeared to have four legs.  I enjoyed the beauty and simplicity of the dance.  Several times the older girl caught my gaze and I noticed that she had to work at not smiling.  So I tried not to meet her gaze again.  But the urge to smile and laugh with her was strong.  I should have stayed to hear the elders speak - maybe I would have learned about the cultural significance of the dance... but I was hungry.

The Pueblo Harvest Cafe has traditional New Mexican and Pueblo cuisine.  I decided to try the Tewa Taco on frybread.  This picture is not of the one I had - which was much bigger and more gorgeous.  But it will give you an idea of what it looks like.

I had to take half of mine home because it was so big, and I opted for red chiles this time.  Red chiles are more smokey and suttle than green chiles, but still have a bit of a bite.  I was sniffling while the waitress refilled my tea - and she asked if it was too hot for me. Nope, I replied happily.  It didn't sting, just opened up my sinuses!  I am quickly becoming immersed in the culture here.  Pretty soon, I'll be ordering Christmas like the natives - red and green chiles!  And of course I had to try the oven bread pudding with caramel sauce.  It was okay, but a little too bready/doughy in the center for me.  I'm not a huge fan of bread puddings, but felt I should at least try it.

So stuffed with good food and filled with the gorgeous images of Pueblo pottery (each Pueblo has its own unique style), I browsed through the gift shop, picked up a couple of cds and headed home.  If anyone is interested in Native American flute music, I can highly recommend R. Carlos Nakai.  Here's a you tube link to hear his music:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8UGp-s7Auo I'll leave you with that.  Walk in beauty, harmony and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment